True, both microneedling and skin resurfacing laser treatments address much the same issues but in different ways:
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Skin laxity and sagging
- Acne scars and active acne
- Discoloration, pigment issues and dullness (even melasma)
- Skin texture issues
- Collagen production (for more firm, youthful plumpness)
- Large pores
*Note: the ActiveFX is an ablative CO2 fractional laser. This means the laser penetrates the layers of the skin in a fractional or dispersed way and vaporizes small micro-channels of tissue (creating a small dot pattern, much like the microneedling technique).
On a scale of intensity (low to high) of both the treatment and the outcome, microneedling is lower than the laser treatment. Meaning the procedure of microneedling is simpler.
- The treatment area is numbed with a topical cream and then a small pen type device with tiny micro-needles is passed over your skin, creating fine micro-injury channels in the skin.
- The natural healing process is what improves the skin and produces collagen and elastin. The treatment takes about 30 minutes and there is virtually no downtime with this procedure.
- The results are great but you may require a series of treatments (3-5) to obtain the desired results.
- The results can last for months with proper sun protection and regular exfoliation but it is recommended to have a touch up treatment annually.
Laser Skin Resurfacing
In contrast, the ActiveFX laser resurfacing treatment is a bit more intense but with often dramatic results with one treatment.
- This procedure does have a few days of social downtime, meaning you probably won’t want to go out for about 3-4 days (many schedule the treatment over a long weekend or holiday).
- The preparation for the treatment includes pain medication and possibly anti-anxiety medication as well as topical numbing. You may feel groggy and you will need someone to drive you home. You will want to rest right after the treatment.
The laser works in much the same way as microneedling, creating micro-injury channels which stimulate collagen production in the normal course of healing. The treatment itself takes about an hour to an hour and a half. Although the overall procedure is a bit more intense, the results…worth it.
The ActiveFX treatment can also address:
- Moderate lines and wrinkles
- Eye hooding
Post treatment, there usually is no pain but you look a little like you have a severe sun burn and there is itching during the healing. Your provider will give you detailed instructions about how to optimally manage this during healing. The ActiveFX laser skin resurfacing treatment can be a one and done service or can be performed up to once per year. The desired outcome will determine the number of treatments necessary.
Wondering which treatment is best for you?
Come in to speak with our clinically trained staff for a full skin assessment. The provider and patient advocate will help you determine the best treatment plan to meet your needs and goals. All skin assessments are free and with no-obligation.
Click Here to Download a checklist of questions to ask during your medspa consultation.
Call 480-470-5747 to schedule your free, no-obligation consultation today!