One of the great things about an IPL Photofacial is there is essentially no social down time. However, there are a few Photofacial aftercare recommendations that can ensure optimal results.
What to Expect After an IPL Photofacial
Immediately following your treatment, the treated ares will be pinkish red with slight swelling. The reddish coloring will typically dissipate within 24 hours. After the treatment, you may notice that sun spots and discoloration actually appear darker and slightly more prominent. This is normal and a good sign that the treatment is working.
Over the next few days, brown spots and other blemishes will begin to surface on the skin. The spots may actually raise and look like dark coffee grounds on the skin. These spots will naturally flake off over the following days.
*If you notice blisters or burns on the skin, contact your provider immediately. This is not normal and should be addressed right away to prevent scarring. Be sure that whichever provider you use to administer your treatment is specifically trained for this procedure!
What To Do After a Photofacial Treatment
- Be sure to maintain moisture on the skin at all times. Apply a gentle moisturizer immediately following the treatment.
- Use a gentle cleanser with warm water, twice a day.
- Be consistent with sunscreen application. This may be the most important aspect of aftercare treatment. Use a sunscreen with at least a 30 SPF that protects against UVA and UVB rays. (click here for recommendation).
- Two to three weeks after treatment, we highly recommend a Facial with Microdermabrasion for the treated areas. The Facial will hydrate and protect the treated areas, while the Microdermabrasion will further remove the dead skin cells revealing your healthy glowing skin.
What Not to Do After a Photofacial Treatment
- Avoid unprotected sun exposure for at least 30 days after your IPL Photofacial session. The skin is especially sensitive as it heals and re-damaging the skin is possible during this time.
- If possible, do not apply makeup immediately after the treatment. It is best to give the skin 12 hours of rest before putting product on the skin.
- Do not take a hot bath, hot shower or bask in the hot tub for at least 48 hours. Warm showers are fine, but you do not want the skin to overheat while it recovers from the heat and light waves from the IPL treatment.
- Avoid strenuous activity or exercise for 48 hours after the Photofacial session. Overheating the skin can reduce the positive effects of the treatment.
- Do not scratch or pick the skin during recovery. As blemishes surface, leave them be! They will flake off naturally. You do not want to create a scar where a brown spot once lived.
- Avoid any product or supplement high in Vitamin A, such as retinoic acid, glycolic acid, tretinoin (Retin-A), Accutane and alpha-hydroxy acids.
If you have any questions, contact your clinic or fill out the below form. No matter where you get your IPL Photofacial treatment, we are happy to answer any questions you may have.