Since mankind is still in search of the true fountain of youth, we are left to our own devices to sustain our youth and prevent aging. Much of the focus in on preserving the face… but what about the neck? Your neck actually ages faster than your face and nothing gives away your age faster than a saggy, ‘turkey’ neck!
Why does the neck age faster?
Your neck contains fewer oil glands than the face. Natural body oil helps preserve the hydration of the skin, which is vitally important. Without this natural hydration, your neck will appear to age faster than your face. Couple this with the constant movement of the neck (twisting and turning) plus unprotected sun exposure, you have a great recipe for a saggy or crepey textured neck.
How To Prevent Neck Sagging
Laser Skin Treatments
The best resolution for neck wrinkles, crepey skin and a myriad of other skin problems will often be a series of laser treatments. Anti-aging skin laser treatments range from non-invasive surface treatments to deep, penetrating lasers leaving healthy, vibrant, young skin.
- Skin Tightening Laser Treatment: Example–>BTL EXilis Ultra is a laser treatment specifically for tightening. It is a fantastic alternative to BOTOX® and plastic surgery. The Exilis laser uses heat to tighten skin and even reduce fat cells. This treatment can be done on multiple areas of the body and is completely non-invasive. (read more)
- Micro Injury Treatment: Example: Microneedling with growth serum is the next level in treatments for crepey, wrinkled neck skin. This procedure is minimally invasive but does penetrate the skin, creating micro-channels, allowingserums and skin care products to treat the skin during it’s natural healing process. Those over 40 years old (a.k.a. those who have slower collagen production) notice incredible improvements in texture and tone, as well as anyone struggling with large pores, acne, scars and wrinkles. (read more)
- Skin Resurfacing Laser Treatment: Example: ActiveFX is an ablative, CO2 laser therapy that penetrates deeply into the dermis of the skin. There is some limited social recovery time associated with this treatment, however with one treatment, the results are jaw dropping. (see the results) Check out before and after photos here.
There are two main injectable type treatments that can be used to treat crepey skin, wrinkles and neck sagging.
- Kybella: This injectable is the first of its kind in that it literally melts fat under the chin. Depending on your individual need, just a couple of treatments will remove fat and the skin under the chin will tighten.
- BOTOX®: This common wrinkle treatment is most notably used for crows feet, lines on the forehead and lip lines. Few people realize that this injectable can also be successfully used to treat what some call, ‘necklace lines’ or prominent platysmal bands.
When choosing home care, there are a few elements to look for that can combat the aging process (we love and recommend SkinScript Rx products):
- Alpha-Lipoic Acid: This is a naturally occurring antioxidant in the body and acts as an antioxidant, preventing aging and inflammation.
- Retinol: This is a fancy name for Vitamin A, which boosts surface cellular turnover for smooth, even toned skin and increases collagen production.
- Vitamin C: This ingredient works to slow down the the loss of collagen in the skin.
First and foremost, hydration is key to healthy skin (and just about everything else!). The most basic rule is to drink 64 oz. of plain water per day, which is about half of a gallon.
In addition to hydration, there are several skin healthy foods that can prevent aging, such as:
- Vegetables: sweet potatoes, kale & spinach
- Fruit: blueberries, kiwis & avocados
- Click here to see more skin-healthy foods
Aging is inevitable, but aging beautifully is a choice! We at Derma Health are here to support you in your journey.